Saturday, April 27, 2013

Penguin Suits and Wedding Dresses!

Hello everyone,

Last night, I got to be a part of an amazing concert, "The Golden Age of Operetta: Take 2!"  And man, was that a fun concert!  I say 'concert' but it was actually more of a 'production' that included a director, singers, an actor, a string quartet, and 2 pianists, all having a part in acting and playing with props.  Oh, and all of us were dressed in wedding gowns (until the second act when the singers changed into black dresses) and penguin suits (tail coats)!



The show followed the history of the operetta, and included works by such composers as Offenbach, Strauss, and even Gershwin!  All in all, it was a very fun and engaging concert that the audience members (both the musically inclined and the not so much) thoroughly enjoyed.

I was a part of the string quartet with Boson, Mr. Norman Fischer, and Mr. Ivo-Jan van der Werff, and we had such a great time!  I found out that Mr. Fischer has an amazing voice (because we were also given parts to sing, much to my horror), and that we have some hilarious people on our faculty  ;)


It was also fun getting to meet and play with Linda, the awesome pianist!  I had attended her recital, and have always thought that she was a great pianist, so it was really fun to get to play with her   =)
Boson and the ladies  ;)



A huge thank you to Ms. Susie Dunn for asking me to be a part of this wonderful production, and also a huge congratulations to her, and also to everyone else involved, for a wonderful night of music and much laughter  ;) 

*sorry about the quality of the photos; the lights were quite dim, and I forgot my camera at home, so only had my little iphone camera...

I hope you all had a wonderful Saturday so far!
If you are in Houston, stay dry out there! or better yet, stay inside and avoid the flash floods!
--Janny

No comments: