Sunday, September 2, 2012

Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

Hello everyone!!
Happy Labor Day weekend!!

To celebrate this much needed 3 day weekend,
(even though we've only been in school for 2 weeks...)
Amulet and I decided to change up our Sunday Routine,
 and visit the Museum of Fine Arts here in Houston.
We didn't realize how many museums there were here, but boy...  do we have many!
In fact, there's a whole Museum District!
Before we got too carried away, we decided to limit just 1 museum visits per day,
and our first pick was obviously the Museum of Fine Arts!!


Welcome to Museum of Fine Arts, Houston!!  =D

There are two buildings as well as a sculpture garden, 
so it took us a couple of hours just to quickly browse through all of the exhibits.  
(we definitely plan on revisiting this museum over and over again)
I was surprised that they let us take photos at so many of the exhibits,
but hey, no complaints from me!
so here are a couple of our favorites from the day  =)


On the first floor of the Beck building there were many Roman and Greek themed sculptures,
and the overall theme for the building seemed to be 'majesty' and 'greatness'.
I mean, even the staircase leading up to the second floor was in line with the theme...
look at this staircase! 
so many stairs... 
it just never ends...  and continues and continues up to the heavens...  
well, that's what it felt like to us, anyway  haha


And of course, as soon as we got to the top, panting and already exhausted,
we learned that there were escalators on the other side...

It was so long that I couldn't capture the whole thing in the picture  haha


There were so many nooks and crannies in the museum that we soon lost track of where we were,
but we did run into this room where the above exhibit was the only display in the room.
I wouldn't mind having that in my future room  =)



and we had to take a picture by this painting because...
well, I'm sure you can see why  haha



If I ever have a hunting lodge, which is very unlikely 
since you need to hunt in order to have something like that, 
this chair would be awesome to have in there  =)



One of my favorite exhibits was this one, but unfortunately, we were not allowed to take photos..
I guess you'll just have to visit it in person  ;)



Amulet being sucked into the painting  haha




This painting was our absolute favorite!!
The Corn Poppy.
It is by Kees van Dongen, a Dutch painter who lived from 1877-1968.
I had never seen it before, but as soon as I laid my eyes on it, I knew I was in love.
Maybe it's something about the vibrancy of the colors,
(the red hat!!!)
or perhaps her facial expression..
I'm not sure what it is, but we stared at this painting for the longest time.
And it came home with us in post card form.
Such a lovely painting!


There were also some familiar artists like Picasso, Van Gogh, and Monet.
And they also came home with us in post card form!



In the other building, we stumbled upon this light exhibit, and had a pretty trippy experience..
I mean, the illusions it created, and the way we perceived different things as the colors and lights changed was really interesting.
I came away a bit dizzy, but it was pretty cool nonetheless!




We also got to see paintings and sculptures from different civilizations,
including the ones from my mother country!



This building also contained many of the sculptural pieces,
like this work of pots and pans,
by which Amulet tried to find her inner peace   haha


By this point, we were pretty famished from walking around so much,
(did you know visiting museums is really tiring?  I mean, I love it, but so much walking...)
so we went out and visited the Fine Art Food Trucks,
crossing this wonderfully colorful crosswalk on our way



And finally, we found 'The Rice Bowl' truck and enjoyed a lovely lunch in the Sculpture Garden.

 


We definitely plan on going back to MFAH again soon,
especially since it's going to be having a Frida Kahlo de Rivera exhibit soon!!
So excited!!!


Well, here are all of the post cards that came home with us.
So now we can stare at our favorites from the museum anytime we feel like it!
but do you see what I mean about the Red Hat?  
She just kind of got renamed as the Red Hat,,  original, I know.. 
but we can't stop staring at her!



If you are ever in Houston, this is definitely a must-see.
And if you are a Rice student, you have no excuse to not visit, because it's free for us!
Or, if you go on Thursdays, it's also free  ;)

I hope you are enjoying your weekend so far!
Thanks for stopping by!
--Janny

No comments: