Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Vegan Mac n Cheese

Hello everyone!

The finals are over, and you know what that means!!! I have time to cook!!!
I'm not vegan, and I'm not gluten free.  Also, mac n cheese is definitely not one of my favorite dish esin the world... I know.. how could I not like this All-American dish?! but anyway, I stumbled upon this recipe from Minimalist Baker, and it just seemed so interesting!  I mean, cheese sauce made of eggplant?  How cool is that? and the photos looked so good!!  So I decided to try it out  =)
Even though I grew up eating the Korean eggplant, I have yet to successfully incorporate the American kind into my cooking...  It always catches my eye though when I'm in the grocery store, and I was glad for a chance to actually go ahead and grab it and take it home this time ;)


I also grabbed some brown rice pasta because,, well, it's made of rice.  so it can't be bad, right?  haha


Oh, and I had to get nutritional yeast, and boy that was an adventure.  Who would've thought Trader Joe's would not have nutritional yeast!  I mean, that sounded like something TJ's would definitely have!  Danielle was helping me locate it, and eventually, we had to go to Whole Foods to find it, but find it we did!

The recipe is not too complicated, but it did take an hour and a half or so to make... I think it might have been because it took FOREVER to caramelize the onions, but it was totally worth it!

mmmmmmmm   so. yummy.


all I had to do for the eggplant is slice it, salt it, broil it, and peel it!  I may have eaten a few just roasted like this before I could peel  it...  and it was glorious. 

I followed the recipe pretty closely, so I won't reprint it.  just check it out here, but I did make a few changes, of course ;)

For one, I added fresh garlic (2-3 cloves) to the sauce before putting it through the blender, and I loved the taste.


and instead of leaving the pasta like this,,


I added kale and baked it for 10 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees!


The resulting dish was surprisingly good!  As a kale lover, I loved the added texture and flavor that the kale gave to the dish, and I have to say, I actually prefer this mac n cheese to the normal super cheesy ones!  =)

Hope you are having a great day, and let me know if you try this recipe out!  =)
--Janny



No comments: