Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Old San Juan Dreaming

Hello everyone,

It is so cold in Boston these days, and we just had a giant snowstorm last weekend...  In an attempt to push the memory of last year's snowmageddon far, far away from my mind, I thought I would blog about somewhere much warmer; San Juan, Puerto Rico! 




A place full of palm trees, tropical breezes, colorful houses,,,


and the bestie, Linda!  =)




I mean, it just doesn't get much better than this!  

Linda and I wanted to escape the cold of our respective cities, so we decided to plan a little girls trip to somewhere warm.  We thought Puerto Rico would be the perfect first girls trip destination since we wouldn't have to worry too much about the language, the currency, customs, passports or anything like that.



Besides, it's beautiful!




After wandering around Old San Juan for awhile, we made our way to Castillo San Cristobal, one of the two old fortresses in Old San Juan.






and the view.  wow.


The fortress was quite large, and we spent most of the morning wandering around the catacombs of the structure.


There were dungeons and other dark crevices on display too, which was fascinating in a sad gloomy kind of a way...



After exploring underneath/inside, we headed back out to the sunshine and the beautiful views.














The fortress is pretty open to visitors wandering around by ourselves, but it also had different educational sections as well.  We started off with an educational video, and wandered around different sections of the fortress laid out the way it 'used' to be.


this is where the footsoldiers used to live.  I thought the archway was beautiful.  =)


After wandering around the fortress, we went in search of some noms in the Old San Juan proper.





the streets were pretty charming  =)




Our taxi cab driver had mentioned a restaurant we should try, so we decided to trust a local and try his recommendation!


and we found our favorite dish!  Mofongos.  My lawd. they were so. good.


I have to say, the whole Puerto Rican cuisine has my heart... err... stomach!  It was so delicious!  I wish I could recreate it at home.. maybe I'll try!  =)


Anyway, exploring the city was fun, but the next few days we explored the rain forest and the most amazing beach I have ever experienced!  I can't wait to bring the photos to the blog soon!  =)

Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful day!
--Janny

No comments: