Thursday, March 13, 2014

Wait... Where did spring break go?

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all doing well!  It's been awhile since I've written last, but when you have a 25 page paper that you have to write reviewing music theory textbooks, writing some more is that LAST thing you want to be doing... 


So yeah, no updating for me, but now that the monster of a paper is finished, I can get back to blogging again! I think that is usually how I end up getting off track with keeping journals, but hey, this time, I'm here recording and documenting once more  =)

Last week was actually our spring break, and for the first time, I stayed and worked through the break. Usually, I go home or go on crazy adventures with my friends, (or last year, I went to California with my guy! you can check them out here.. I just looked through it and man... so many amazing memories!!), but yeah,,, that monster paper and competition preparation kept me in Houston this year.  So most of the break was spent in front of my computer typing, or in a practice room with my earplugs in, practicing.  If you guys are musicians, do you practice with ear plugs?  I usually don't do it, but when you're working on Sibelius Violin Concerto, and you just have to shred octaves for hours, you gotta protect those ears  ;)


Thankfully though, my break wasn't all work and no play!

One night, we had a cooking double date with our double date couple and Houdini!
We made 'blackened chicken', which is basically really heavily seasoned chicken, and if you ever plan on cooking chicken with cayenne pepper, we highly recommend turning on the fan.  We didn't do that  at first, and all of us (including Houdini) was hacking and sneezing until the air cleared.  Man,,, I guess it's kind of like a mild version of pepper spray?  but whatever the case, let me tell you what. it ain't pleasant.
We also baked some more... (Nutella roll-up cookies!)

cooked some more things,, and ate some more baked goods!  The cakes were from one my student's mom, and it was so sweet of her to bring me some!  And all of the pieces were so beautiful!  I am so blessed to have such wonderful students and parents =)


And one day, my guy surprised me with a cupcake! It was his way of congratulate me on getting admitted into my doctorate program, and I thought it was so sweet of him  =)  I applied to Boston University and University of Texas-Austin, and I got into both of the schools!  I was so excited, and that made my spring break much more exciting  haha.  I haven't decided where I want to go, but I will let you know when I finally decide! 




So that is about it for my spring break!  Not the crazy adventurous one like the one I had last year, and probably the most workaholic one ever, but still, a really great one.  I am so blessed to have all of the opportunities and to be surrounded by such wonderful people, especially this guy  ;)


Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you are all having a wonderful day!!
--Janny







No comments: